Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Charting a New Course

Ever since I was a child I have wanted to be a pilot. It was a dream that seemed so fantastical but natural, I was sure one day it would happen.

In a way, much of my younger years was devoted to aviators. Many of my first pets were birds. My family was known to take in injured animals. I nursed some fledglings back to health and saw many pass on to bigger skies. My first real volunteer job was with a wildlife rehabilitation center for Pelicans. Without my own wings, I somehow found ways to support others in their journey to flight. later, I would work for the airlines in customer service, just to be close to something I always felt was like home.

After many years, and many paths, I finally earned my wings on a snow covered runway in Bluffton Ohio. I started my lessons in Oakland CA. It wasn't till I moved to Ohio, that I caught on to a culture of aviation that truly connected too -- wide open skies, family-run shops, and people with a home-grown love for aviation that surpassed just professional interest.

Now that I am back in Oakland, I miss that connection. Sure, there is a wealth of aviation history here, but most of what I come across now, can best be described of as "aviation business." For a while, this made me question just what I was looking for in aviation, and whether it was really he right place for me.

Aviation is a huge part of my life. So, I stopped searching for the right "culture" to belong. It has always been here -- in my heart.

So I'm charting a new course. This doesn't mean that I am "inventing" a new aviation culture, but rather creatively adding to ones that I feel are becoming more grounded in todays fast paced aviation world. And, then again, there may be a few inventions too.

I welcome you to join me in my adventures as I learn, explore, create, share and mend. And thank you for reading!

3 comments:

  1. i'm SO happy for you and looking forward to all the adventures to come!!! congrats bucket o'love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY...it's up and running!! so proud of you and looking forward to future posts... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Lorna and Yola: Thanks for the support guys!!

    ReplyDelete